Attack dog (Red Alert 2)
|Ground attack||30 (ParasiteDog)|
Immune to mind control
Attack dogs are Allied and Soviet anti-infantry scout units in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. The Allied version is a German Shepherd, while the Soviet version is a Siberian Husky.
These trained canines were raised from when they were pups to be killing machines, and performed extremely well against enemy troops, despite often taking heavy casualties under fire. They were very useful for reconnaissance purposes due to their speed, vision, and expendable status. They could also sniff out enemy spies no matter what disguise they had taken on. They were of particular use during the Psychic Dominator Disaster, as Yuri's psychics were only trained in controlling human minds, and were vulnerable to dogs.
Being dogs armed with only their own teeth, they were unable to attack anything other than infantry. Groups of enemy troops were able to kill dogs before they got near, and Tanya, Navy SEALs and Boris could kill dogs instantly. Furthermore, the brute's skin was too thick for a dog's teeth to pierce. Tesla troopers, however, had weak points in their armour which dogs exploited to lethal effect. Kill them init
The Allies still used them in the Post-war Crisis, while the Soviets replaced them with the war bear. After Anatoly Cherdenko changed the timeline, Allied attack dogs were observed to be capable of swimming and were equipped with the ability to stun enemy infantry.
- When attacking, the dog essentially "becomes the bullet" until it reaches and kills the target. During this phase, the dog is immune to even a Nuke blast and its radiation. This mechanic is shared with both Squid and Terror Drone. In the rare event a Terrorist is killed before the dog gets to him, it lands unharmed from that Terrorist's explosion; otherwise the dog dies with the Terrorist.
- The manual for The First Decade states that Yuri's Army has access to attack dogs. This is false, as Yuri is the only faction that can not use them, relying on brutes instead.
- However, the game's rulesmd.ini file holds commented-out code for a Yuri attack dog.
- On the other hand, Yuri is only faction that can train both Allied and Soviet attack dogs if an Allied and Soviet barracks are captured. Allies and Soviets can only train their corresponding type of attack dog, even if the opposite barracks is captured.
- In real life, the Siberian Husky is a poor breed choice for attack or guard dog: these dogs lack the territorial protection instinct, and are unaggressive towards humans, therefore they cannot be trained to perform direct combat duties.
An early concept included an soviet tank hunting dog which was cut from the game.
Pre-release cameos, in order: Soviet alpha, Allied beta veteran, Soviet beta veteran.
In order: English, French, German, Korean, Chinese. Top row is Allied, bottom row is Soviet.