The damage is too extensive!
Boris has been marked for cleanup. Reason(s):
Standardize the unit overview
Specially modified AKM
Calls MiG airstrike
Increased range, strength, firepower, rate of fire, self-healing
|“||Boris has arrived!
Boris (Russian: Борис) was a Soviet commando during the second iteration of the Third World War, replacing the defunct Volkov and traitor Yuri's clones. He is also a recipient of the Gold Star medal, giving him the title of the hero of the Soviet Union.
Strengths[edit | edit source]
Boris was equipped with a specially designed AKM assault rifle, which was the successor to the AK-47 that most rifle infantry wielded in the Second World War. Due to extensive training and battlefield experience, he was very accurate and could dispatch most infantry with a single burst of fire from long range. This weapon also dealt an appreciable amount of damage to vehicles. Boris was decently armoured, allowing him to fight even some anti-infantry vehicles. One-on-one, he was more than a match for a gattling tank. Furthermore, he was resistant to mind control.
MiG airstrike[edit | edit source]
Boris could call in a MiG airstrike against structures by designating them with a laser. The laser had a long range, allowing these strikes to be called in from a great distance. The missiles deployed by the MiGs were extremely powerful, and two missiles were enough to level most structures, including war factories. As Boris gained veterancy, the number of MiGs called in increased, up to a maximum of four.
This attack, however, had several weaknesses. Firstly, the attack was appreciably slower than Tanya's C4 attack, as the MiGs had to fly in from off screen and back before another group could fly in. Secondly, although the MiGs were tough, they could be shot down while approaching the target. Finally, the targeted structure had to be designated until the MiGs actually launched their missiles, forcing Boris to choose between destroying the structure and self-defense. However, the long range of the laser was longer than that of defensive structures (save for the Grand Cannon).
Also, Boris' airstrikes could still be used (to an extent) while he was not using his laser. The MiGs turned back towards the edge of the map when he stopped targeting the airstrike. When he re-targeted a structure with his laser, the MiGs would turn around and head back to it. Doing this, however, significantly increased the amount of time it took for the aircraft to reach the target.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
As formidable as Boris was, he did have some weaknesses. First, he could not (or rather, would not) swim, forcing the use of an amphibious transport, making him the only commando in Yuri's Revenge who could not traverse water on his own. Secondly, like Tanya and Yuri Prime, he had no defense against air units. In addition, unlike his counterparts, Boris could not destroy a building immediately, having to wait for MiGs to destroy it. However, this made him able to destroy buildings from a safe distance.
Additional info[edit | edit source]
Little is known about Boris' early history, other than that he was formidable enough on the battlefield to become a hero of the Soviet Union, and that he was not willing to swim for some odd reason. It is believed that he contributed greatly in Mother Russia's fight against Yuri.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
- Yuri's Revenge patch 1.001:
- Boris will now correctly call MiGs in to attack occupied tank bunkers.
- Boris' laser designator will no longer be interrupted if the enemy units garrison/un-garrison a building he is targeting.
- if a commando (Tanya, Boris, Yuri Prime) is placed into a transport, and that transport is destroyed on water, the training slot for that commando unit is now properly freed.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
When created[edit | edit source]
- Boris has arrived!
- It is I, Boris! (unused)
- I have no fear. (unused)
- Let the games begin! (unused)
- You are no match for Boris! (unused)
When selected[edit | edit source]
- Boris here.
- Yes, comrade general?
- Let's light them up.
- I'll point out the target.
- Don't mess with me.
When moving[edit | edit source]
- Is nothing I cannot do![sic]
- This will be easy.
- Boris agrees.
- I have an important mission.[sic]
- Russia's fate is with me.
When ordered to attack[edit | edit source]
- Die, traitorous dogs!
- Eat lead!
- Fools! You can't touch me!
- Who is next?
When calling an airstrike[edit | edit source]
- Bring on the MiGs!
When suppressed[edit | edit source]
- They are attacking us!
- Is very bad here, comrade![sic]
- I am hit!
- We must have reinforcements!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art by Phil Robb
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Chinese version, Boris' name was not transliterated like Tanya's. Instead, he was given a new name, 菁英戰鬥兵 (elite combat trooper). If transliterated into Chinese, however, Boris would be called 鲍里斯 (Bàolĭsī), while Tanya would be called 譚雅 (Tányǎ).
- Oddly, if Boris enters an IFV, the entire vehcile is still called "多功能步兵车-鲍里斯"(IFV-Boris). It is unnkown why he has two different name in Chinese version.
- Unlike Tanya, Boris has little character development outside of his apparent performance on the battlefield in-game.
- Boris's second name was never revealed.