Catalyst missile (Tiberium Wars)
Background[edit | edit source]
|“||I always knew there was a chance the Visitors might not be entirely... cooperative. And that's why I developed a weapon that targets their weakness.
The catalyst missile was capable of detonating Tiberium crystal deposits in a sub-critical reaction. It was one of several Tiberium-based weapons developed by Nod alongside the liquid Tiberium bomb. The missile was specifically designed to exploit the Tiberium-based nature of the Scrin and channel their forces in more productive directions.
After GDI's raid on Nod's research facility in Casabad, GDI scientists discovered evidence of this weapon. However, due to the decentralized nature of Nod R&D efforts, development of the catalyst missile continued unabated despite the loss of the Casabad facility.
The catalyst missile was eventually completed in a research lab in Northern Italy. However, the facility soon came under attack by Scrin forces. The Nod Commander, sent by Kane to secure the facility, was able to repair the heavily damaged catalyst missile silo and destroy the alien forces threatening the lab. The catalyst missile was subsequently distributed to all Nod forces, prioritized to be used when combat against the Scrin was necessary.
In-game[edit | edit source]
The catalyst missile detonates nearby Tiberium deposits, dealing heavy damage to any units caught in the blast. The missile itself does only 500 damage, which is negligible to most units and structures. However, the damage is increased by 50 times against units and structures that contain Tiberium, more than enough to guarantee their destruction. These include:
- GDI harvester
- Nod harvester
- Tiberium silo (except civilian silo)
- Tiberium spike
- GDI refinery
- Nod refinery
- Growth accelerator
- Tiberium chemical plant (in Kane's Wrath only)
Despite the visual effect of Tiberium crystals exploding, this power, unlike the Tiberium vein detonation power, deals no damage to Tiberium and therefore CANNOT be used to destroy enemy Tiberium fields.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
- Tiberium Wars patch 1.09: cost increased by 33% to $2000
- Kane's Wrath patch 1.01: radius decreased by 50%
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Even when used on a blue Tiberium field, the detonation effect still shows green Tiberium shards.
References[edit | edit source]
- Electronic Arts Los Angeles, Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. GDI InOps, "Liquid Tiberium Research".
- Electronic Arts Los Angeles, Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. Nod mission 14: "Northern Italy".
- Electronic Arts Los Angeles, Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. Kane's Arsenal, "Catalyst Missile".