Composite combat vest
Deploys in sandbags
Increased strength, firepower, rate of fire, self-healing
The G.I. (Government Issue or General Infantry) is the basic Allied infantry unit in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. Along with their counterparts in other factions, G.I.s are able to garrison civilian structures.
Background[edit | edit source]
These soldiers possess basic combat training in urban warfare, which allowed them to effectively garrison civilian buildings and use them as makeshift fortifications.
Each GI was equipped with what appears to be a Spectre submachine gun which they used on foot, and an M60 general-purpose machine gun which they used in entrenched positions. For protection, they wore a composite combat vest with shoulder pads and a composite helmet with goggles. The game's files identify the GI's standard weapon as the M60 and its deployed weapon as "para".
In-game[edit | edit source]
GIs may deploy into a ring of sandbags. In this static mode, they do more damage per burst and have longer range, which is enough to keep most hostile infantry away, but also to counter lighter vehicles. When undeployed, the GI uses an SMG, which is inferior to the Conscript's weapon. When put into an IFV, they gain even more firepower against infantry, but the damage output to buildings and vehicles is less potent. The GI may also garrison structures and do more damage per second than garrisoned conscripts, but are outmatched by garrisoned initiates.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
After the war, they were replaced by peacemakers in the Post-War Crisis, and later by peacekeepers in the War of the Three Powers, which possess shotguns, and are more effective against enemy infantry.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
- Yuri's Revenge patch 1.001: GIs and Guardian GIs under the effect of a chaos drone can no longer be (un)deployed by their owner.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
When selected[edit | edit source]
- Sir, yes, sir!
- Squared away, sir!
- How 'bout some action?
- Can do!
- Who's next? (cut)
When moving[edit | edit source]
- Movin' out!
- Got it!
- On my way!
- Double time!
- On the move!
When ordered to attack[edit | edit source]
- You got it!
- Enemy sighted!
- Let's do it!
- Diggin' in!
- Safety first, sir!
When suppressed[edit | edit source]
- We're pinned down!
- We're being attacked!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Cameos[edit | edit source]
In order: English/French/German, Korean, Chinese. Top row is standard, bottom row is veteran.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Conscript (Red Alert 2) - Soviet basic infantry
- Initiate (Yuri's Revenge) - Yuri's basic infantry
- Guardian GI - anti-armour variant
- Rifle infantry - predecessor
- Peacemaker - successor from Red Alert Mobile
- Peacekeeper - successor from Red Alert 3
- Wikipedia:GI (military) - Wikipedia entry on real-life GIs
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- GIs seen in cutscenes are played by Sharif Perry, Micheal Rouleau, Jeremy Olson, Brett Logan, Lamar Lucas, and McKenzie Woodcock.
- The game unit was voiced by Michael Bell, like most Allied infantry.
- Some concept art refers to them as heavy machine gunners.
- A selection voice line was cut from the game, and is often restored in mods.