Iron Curtain (Red Alert 2)
|For the technology in general, see Iron Curtain.|
|Produced by||Soviet construction yard|
|Requires||Soviet battle lab|
The second-generation Iron Curtain device is a Soviet superweapon in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge which renders vehicles and structures in a small area temporarily invulnerable, but kills any infantry caught in the area of effect.
This version of the Iron Curtain device is an advancement of its predecessor, as it can target up to 9 units for a longer time (50 seconds) and with a shorter cooldown, and can also affect structures. Its output is so powerful red-tinted energy it covers its targets with is thickened to the point that it turns black, though red flashes could still be seen whenever the field was struck by weapons fire. This colouration vanishes when the Curtain's effect wears off.
Not all of the original Curtain's flaws were ironed out, however. This generation is still unable to sheath air units, making Kirov airships and airborne siege choppers ineligible for targeting, although the latter can be sheathed if deployed. Also, the greater energy output of made the curtains power lethal to infantry and dogs, unless they are garrisoned inside buildings or transports (if deployed, however, infantry can not re-enter the structure or transport until the effect wears off). This can be used offensively.
The new Iron Curtain physically resembled the original in many ways, with a large metal sphere at its apex, a wide metal base, and arcs of energy crackling from the base to the sphere.
Offensively, the Iron Curtain is most commonly used in tank pushes, especially when facing units and structures capable of mind control, since the Iron Curtain provides temporary immunity from that. Demolition trucks under the effect of the Iron Curtain are protected from premature detonations. The weapon also allows for more elaborate attacks, like using flak tracks with engineers or terrorists. Larger infantry battalions can be eliminated from afar with the Iron Curtain as well.
Defensively, the Iron Curtain can provide protection for structures without causing power outages, unlike the force shield. It can also be used in tandem with it for protecting two separate sets of structures, provided that the Iron Curtain is used first.
As is the case with many superweapons, there is no hard counter. A multiple layered wall can be deployed to merely buy some time.
Units under the effect of the Iron Curtain are not immune to the Chronosphere, however.
- Red Alert 2 patch 1.004: aircraft can now fly over structures affected by the Iron Curtain.
Pre-release cameos, all alpha stage for the weapon:
In order: English, French, German, Korean, Chinese. Top row is structure, bottom row is weapon.
- The AI uses Iron Curtain upon its vehicles mostly when facing defenses, rarely to destroy key structures.
- In original Red Alert 2, computer units automatically attack the player's or another computer's invulnerable unit. However, in Yuri's Revenge, they ignore the unit until its invulnerability is exhausted.
- If SEALs, Tanya or psi commandos plant C4 while using the Iron Curtain on their intended target, they will get stuck inside permanently. They can still be killed, however.
- The Iron Curtain can remove terror drones but not giant squids while latching on their victims. For the terror drone's case, this can even save ore miners or MCVs from further damage.