We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Republic of Korea
Republic of Korea
Exists (old timeline)
History[edit | edit source]
Korea traces its founding back to 2333 BC, though it's believed that the Korean peninsula was populated by the ancestors of the Koreans since the neolithic period.
During the early 20th century, the nation of Korea faced turmoil. Korea was taken over by Japan in 1910 and it wasn't until Japan's defeat in 1945 that Korea achieved independence. In the decade after independence, Korea suffered turmoil in its political system and society in general, causing the country to split into two.
However, South Korea's economic and political status have improved, it is currently considered a First World nation, and has held free and fair elections. It has joined the Allies, being a vital partner in the defense of the Pacific.
In World War III[edit | edit source]
When the Soviet Union invaded the United States in 1972, South Korea assisted the Allies by attacking Russia's homeland itself, by attacking the Soviets' primary Pacific port of Vladivostok. This attack on Russia's eastern territories by the Koreans was eventually forced back into the sea by the Soviets, however it succeeded in diverting a substantial number of Soviet troops from other strategic fronts in the war, and thus aided in thinning the Soviet's ranks.
No further information about Republic of Korea during the WoTP is available, although it is likely that the Korean Peninsula is under the control of Empire of the Rising Sun.
Military[edit | edit source]
The Republic of Korea possesses a modern, well-equipped army, comparable to that of any other Allied nation. It also possesses a significant naval presence, though it was unable to successfully stage an oceanic invasion of the Russian homeland during the Third World War.
However, perhaps the most powerful element of Korea's military is its air force. Well-trained and battle-hardened, South Korean pilots have the additional advantage of the Black Eagle, a VTOL Strike Fighter with sophisticated avionics and weapons systems, superior to those of a Harrier. These were put to good use during the destruction of Yuri's cloning facilities in Australia.
Notes on Game Design[edit | edit source]
- In our timeline, Korea was partitioned in 1945 after the Japanese were defeated in World War II, with North Korea being occupied by the Soviets and becoming communist, while the Allies occupied South Korea, which became a democracy. This division soon let to the bloody Korean War which abated with an armistice in 1953 after the war stalemated. Technically, the war is still ongoing however.
- Red Alert 2's coding refers to Korea as the "Asian Alliance", while the graphical image of the nation's flag when selecting it in multiplayer uses the prefix "jap", hinting that Korea may had originally been intended as Japan, or an alliance of Asian countries.
- On the map that appears before each level in Red Alert 2, Korea is shown as being divided into North and South Korea, just like in real life.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Red Alert 2 loading screen
Fate outside of the Red Alert universe[edit | edit source]
Tiberium universe[edit | edit source]
As Tiberium spreads around the world, Korea was relatively unscathed. During the First Tiberium War, South Korea was shown as a GDI member state on the map, while North Korea was shown to be affiliated with the Brotherhood of Nod. Decades later, the Korean Peninsula was classified as a Blue Zone, meaning its citizens enjoyed some of the highest standards of living in the world under the protection of GDI. Like other Blue Zones, it was presumably devastated by the Scrin Invasion of Earth.
Generals universe[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Empire of the Rising Sun - the dominant faction in the Far East during the War of Three Powers
- Asian-Pacific Alliance - military Alliance formed by China and its allies, including unified Korea