MiG (Red Alert 1)
|For other aircraft of the same name, see MiG.|
AS-12 Kegler heat-seeking missiles
Background[edit | edit source]
The MiG is a swept wing fighter-bomber that mounts numerous missiles. MiGs are equipped with at least 3 undercarriage mount missiles, which are optimized for use against armoured targets. The MiG's reload extremely quickly and fly to and from their targets with equal speed, allowing savvy commanders to make strike after strike against an opponent. The missiles have a primitive homing apparatus, thus making it extremely difficult to successfully hit moving targets. Also, the MiG's had no means of attacking enemy aircraft except landed ones.
Allied imitation[edit | edit source]
The Allies stole vital data on the design of the Soviet MiG and began using the information to build their own prototype. The prototype was designed to drop nuclear payloads and had improved armour; the prototype was superior to the standard Soviet version, although it couldn't be mass-produced. The nuclear payloads were able to take out most structures with one hit. The prototype appears in the Legacy Of Tesla mission. Field Commander S7 was given the task of destroying the prototype and all bases defending it. Once the prototype was destroyed the project was terminated and no further attempts were made to replicate it.
After the Second World War[edit | edit source]
No MiG fighters were seen in action during the Third World War. When the Psychic Dominator Disaster occurred, the Red Army revived its legacy with the production of a new model, this time serving the role of a hit-and-run tactical aircraft outfitted with precision laser-guided bombs. They were notably called in by the Soviet hero known as Boris.
Prior to the War of the Three Powers in a timeline altered by Anatoly Cherdenko, it is unknown whether either MiG model was utilized. However, a new MiG fighter, this time a dedicated interceptor fighter, specialized in taking on enemy aircraft, but having no means to attack ground targets.
In-game[edit | edit source]
This fast-attack craft carries a limited number of powerful and accurate missiles, making them the deadliest air unit in the game. They're very effective against stationary targets, but they're not very armored - a few hits will take one down, especially from an Allied anti-aircraft gun. MiG's have to be reloaded at an airfield after every attack, but they have the quickest reload time once they land.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The MiG is portrayed by the MiG-23 Flogger or MiG-27 Flogger-D/J in the in-game sprite and the build icon. However, it is portrayed by the MiG-29 Fulcrum in the cutscenes. It is possible that the MiG-29 was an advanced prototype while the MiG-23 was the main version produced.
See also[edit | edit source]
- MiG (Red Alert 2) - The successor to the MiG during the Psychic Dominator Crisis.
- MiG (Red Alert 3) - The air superiority fighter of the Soviets during the Third World War (Red Alert 3).
- MiG (Generals) - China's multirole fighter in Command & Conquer: Generals.
- Spy plane (Red Alert 1) - An unarmed reconnaissance aircraft of the Soviets during the Second World War.